Harsha's fresh Mussels in creamy white wine sauce
I first had fresh mussels from Little Havana many years ago … I always try to opt for the chefs special over their regular when it calls to me … it tasted of the sea, and ticked all my tastebud favourites! Tomato, garlic and chilli… this version is still made with fresh mussels but has become a crowd pleaser for the cream lovers not on a diet! I still added chilli (don’t judge!)..
- 2kg fresh mussels
- 1 large or 2 small onions finely chopped
- 6-8 cloves garlic chopped/sliced
2-3 red chillies finely chopped (optional)
- A large handful fresh chopped parsley
- 250ml fresh cream
- 250ml white wine
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Soak mussels for about an hour in cold water.
- Wash and clean properly discarding of any broken or chipped shells.
- On medium heat in a large pot melt butter add chopped onions and fry till translucent.
- Add garlic and chillies and fry a little longer.
Do not let the garlic or onions brown.
- Turn up the heat slightly.
Add wine, cream and parsley, salt and pepper and stir.
- Stir in the mussels, close the lid and allow to steam for 10min giving the pot a shake after a few minutes.
- Steam for a further 5min if required.
- Discard any unopened shells.
- Garnish with fresh parsley serve with crusty garlic bread and lemon slices.